Ties I

Ties are interesting things. A few years ago I visited an exhibition at the Otago Museum about their history. This is the first of two tongue-in-cheek posts about neck-ties and how I see them in health-care and professionalism, in Queensland.
A previous housemate of mine, Ironman, loved his ties. He had no fewer than three Wallabies Rugby ties, in his myriad of choking-scarves. Evidently, I'm not super fussed about them, these days.

I used to love ties. About five years ago. See, the culture of my well-heeled private school was such that the ability to tie a Double Windsor was, for a brief period of time, an awe-inspiring skill to one's fifteen-year-old peers.

Through Uni (in NZ), ties made the odd appearance for formal dinners, placements, 'Professional Practice' sessions and job interviews.

On my first day of work as a pharmacist, I wore a tie. Maxwell laughed at me. Rightly so, in hind-sight; it was 38 Celsius. I melted. Welcome to Brisbane. Don't bother until May. I didn't.

I will, however, that my dislike for ties maybe due to my sizing; I prefer not to look like I have a drag-chute behind me, however, since my neck and waist are quite disproportionate, my choices are either sans tie or Paratrooper.

I have worn a 'Ben Casey' once, quite recently, but I've never been a big fan. I feel that the dispensing jacket puts up a bit too much of a barrier; in the same way that Docs in Australasia don't wear lab coats, they're on the outer. Unsurprisingly, the high cut collar makes me feel like a cross between the Incredible Hulk and a Priest.

These days I wear an open-necked shirt to work. I'd rather go tie-less in a nice shirt and feel relaxed than look like a stressed out used-car salesman who's just trying that wee bit too much; tacky shirts are one of my pet dislikes.

Hospitals seems to have quite a strong tie culture although, I've usually been able to avoid wearing one thus far during Clinical Coaching. Chances are, though, a trip to the tailor might accompany the start of rotations. Yurg.

What about you; do you wear a tie to work? A Lab Coat or Ben Casey?

3 comments:

    If you have a strong dislike of ties, consider doing your residency at the Gold Coast Hospital - it is very rare that someone wears a tie on campus!

    Never wear a tie while on paediatrics...kiddies will yank at them...

    unfortunately they tend to be seen (as you pointed out yourself) as part of the 'professional dress standard'. it is understandable how they could be uncomfortable to wear - let's see how long you can go before you are asked to add this item to your daily attire !!! frightening though how many germs can be passed so unwittingly form patient to patient - cross contamination !!!! .... would a tie pin help at all? just a thought... perhaps your new mentor (assuming you've found one) may have some suggestions....