Empowerment and Passion

So, it's the end of the first week of Internal Medicine. I'm looking forward to a weekend of relaxation. And by relaxation, I mean examining the inside of my eyelids. Eyelids being about the only part of the body I haven't examined this week.

I've been quizzed on a large variety of topics; from antiarrhythmics to Todd's paresis. Hot tip: if you mention that you're a pharmacist and your intern says "Me too." the drug questions will not stop. They will get harder.

The morning handovers and subsequent rounds are what I really enjoy; and, well, combined with the inordinately early nights I've been having, I'm more than happy to have these nice early starts for a long, long time. It's the first time I've had that "I could do this job forever" feeling in quite a while.

It has been intense, to say the least, and the next seven weeks are shaping to be pretty similar. Tutorials start next week, and they'll fit nicely into the part of the day I had been reserving for starting IV Lines. Of caffeine. On myself.

In truth, I did manage to cannulate my first living human. Yes, it took me two goes. No the patient didn't clobber me. No, I didn't stick myself.

Meantime, most of my colleagues will begin a chat with "So, what rotation are you on?", Medicine, "Oh, that sucks. You must be getting grilled."

I am, and I love it. It's pretty empowering to actually have the answer ready, and more so if you didn't look it up ten minutes ago. I think thus far I've been able to channel all my nervousness, enjoyment, excitement and, dare I say it, passion into study miles. I hope it sticks;

this empowerment and passion.

1 comments:

    Enjoy the game show.