Electric Sky

The house up the road from mine just got hit by lightning. The storm that's been threatening all day came across an hour ago. I knew it was coming, not just because of the weather and wind warnings all over the TV and radio, but also because my sinuses have blocked up and I've been clenching my jaw all day in an effort to clear out my ears. Fruitlessly.

The pounding headache that's ensued has given me sufficient excuse to procrastinate, culminating in sitting outside for the last hour watching the heavenly fireworks that were previously South-west of here, and are now overhead. The international match between the Socceroos and Qatar has even been delayed.

It's the first major storm for the Queensland season; it's hosing down and the sky's like a strobe flare. Despite being well after dark, the orange electric glow hangs across the skyline and that crackly feel dances on the skin.

The electricity in the air reminded me of a similar storm a few years ago; in Pre-reg. Mr Wills had been an off- and on- patient for nearly a decade. He'd travel past about four other pharmacies and pop in for medications for himself and his housebound wife. He wasn't a big talker, Mr Wills.

On this particular day in October, the storms had been forecast to hit in the afternoon. It was midday and, much like today, the air crackled and fizzed. Mr Wills waited patiently for his 'scripts and the sky opened.

When the meds were ready, I handed them to Mr Wills in a plastic bag, and he mosied through the now pelting rain to the bus-stop about fifteen meters from the pharmacy door. A few minutes later, Mr Wills stumbled back inside. He'd missed his bus by a full forty seconds and the next one was due in three-quarters of an hour.

It was a quiet day at work; for some reason, the hail, drenching rain and lightning were keeping people away from the pharmacy, doctor and shopping in general. I conferred with the boss and ducked out to fetch the delivery car.

All the way to his house, Mr Wills and I had a good chat about his family and the area and all that sort of thing. It was a very different side to a bloke who was usually so quiet. He warmly thanked me as I dropped him off. I low-geared the deliver car out the muddy driveway, and headed back to the dry, quiet, pharmacy.

In the meantime, tonight's storm has begun to subside. The lightning's fizzled out and the rain has eased. Australia won the football, 4-0.

0 comments: