After arriving back into Queensland at 0740 with a meagre 5 hours of sleep in 50, I busied myself, intent on not succumbing to tiredness until nightfall. Especially as I was to be in Oncology clinic the following day at 8am, bright and shiny.

Sensibly, I unpacked. I did some washing. I put by bicycle together. I did some more washing. I called my family. And did some more washing. I ate. A lot. My eyes began to blur as I stared at the TV... Oh oh. This was going to end in sleep.

My phone rang - it was my cricket coach. He asked if I felt like coming down for a net session. I was mildly surprised, being the middle of the off-season. I'm not near the level of player who starts pre-season three months early. Either way, if fit the criteria for my main aim of the day - not falling asleep - so I headed down to the pitch.

As I wander across the field, slightly confused by this net session, I see a 'familiar' figure. Familiar, in the sense that it's recognisable from the television. The first-grade spinner says G'day and chucks me a ball. Next thing I know, I'm bowling at a New Zealand Test Cricketer, and a few First Class players, too.

I got home buzzing, despite being smashed all around the ground, including a cracking cover drive into through the hole in the nets into my (now dead) mobile phone. Oops. Getting a second (fifteenth?) wind, I went for a ride.

And fell asleep at sunset. An absurd couple of days.

Elective by numbers;

71 days, 16,345 kilometres from home.

4 Official Languages of Switzerland - German, French, Italian, Romansch.

Languanges in which I am fluent - English.

18 border crossings (Airport 2, Train 6, Car 4, Boat 2, Bicycle 4) into five european countries.

Cheered like a Maniac at 2 Grand Tours.

Average price per 100g of Swiss Chocolate; $1.08 AUD (Range $0.70 - $3.30 AUD).

Cycled 1,338 kms, including >16,600m climbed (with 6 Cat.1+ climbs).

Hours spent in clinic; 32 in 3 weeks.

University lectures attended; 14 (Five In English).

Hours spent doing research; 165 in 5 weeks.

Academic Papers read; 78.

40 hours of Summer School with top pediatricians.

Bananas eaten; 53.

First author publications in Pediatrics submitted; 1

Intern Job obtained at chosen hospital; 1

2 comments:

    Which Kiwi?

    The 'familiar figure' was Chris Martin - architect of one of my biggest Black Cap fan-boy moments when he too Graeme Smith's leg stump with the first ball of a test.

    My phone was dismantled from the bat of Tim Southee - holder of the NZ record for fastest test fifty and a pretty swashbuckling cover drive.