Next Level

On two consecutive days, in two consecutive areas, I've been reminded that I'm not at 'the next level'

Yesterday, I had a bicycle race, and the organisers put the top two grades together. I'm a pretty solid B-Grade rider, and rated my chances at finishing with the (relatively small) peleton. I lasted barely two of the five laps before getting dropped like a lead balloon, before riding alone to the finish. Don't get me wrong, I'm fit, riding pretty well and can flog almost anyone else I ride with for a good forty kilometres. But I'm not at A-Grade level, and I won't be for a while

Recently at the Hospital, it's been a similar thing, sort of. I can hold my own in discussions with medical students and interns. I have a pretty good 'clinical approach' to most things, I'm more systematic and I'm better at presenting. Today, though, I got schooled on rounds. It got me thinking about progression;

The phrase 'taking it to the next level' is well overused by hip-hop artists, film-makers and sportspeople alike. And usually, it's nonsense, garbled trash talk. Until, of course, you're the one who can see both sides of the level - what you can do comfortably, consistently and repeatedly, and what you cannot.

Since mid-year, this is what Med School's been like - both sides of the junction. Some days above, holding on to the peleton, making good plans and diagnoses. Other days, dropped, agog, out of my depth. The next few months I'm going to use to get comfortable. To consolidate knowledge and skills. To prepare for the Next Level.

1 comments:

    This is so true - and you're definitely not alone in feeling that way! I've really got to get my A-game on before my upcoming OSCEs!