Recently, @sandnsurf at Life in the Fast Lane rolled out their version of Problogger's 7 link challenge, and I thought I'd have a crack. True to form, it was good fun trawling through the last few years of posts...

1. My first post;

Game on. I started this blog one Sunday at work. I wasn't playing regular sport because, in addition to Med School, was working 30+ hrs a week. It took me a while, but the question remained pertinent; "What do I want out of this?"

2. A post I enjoyed writing the most;

Medicine and Travel combined for a dream-like premier experience in My First Surgery. Reading the post made that night flood back, even the smells. There's really something special about the first one you do.

3. A post which had a great discussion;

Why I'm Against Pharmacist Prescribing. An oft discussed topic in pharmacy circles, this post was designed as a caution to over-zealous, ivory-tower, Pharmacists. The comments have also revealed some interesting public perceptions about prescribing and the value we place on diagnosis vs prescriptions.

4. A post on someone else’s blog that I wish I’d written;

@sixyearmed - Where the water is. I stumbled across sixyearmed when I was compiling Grand Rounds in July 2009. The rawness of this post just grabbed me, confounded me. An inspirational, honest writer and a pediatrician, Danielle is now the number one feed in my reader.

@precordialthump - Brainstem rules of 4 at Life in the Fast Lane. This post taught me more about clinical neuroanatomy than medical school has. Plus, it's logical, memorable and has wee follow-up self-tests. More than once, I've printed a copy and handed it to a confused colleague on their neurology/internal med rotation.

5. A post with a title that I'm proud of;

The Clinical Creep is a post about a truly awful Clinical Coach we suffered through in first year, before he was fired from the MedSchool. I like the name because, well, it's just him.

6. A post that I wish more people had read;

Failure. Medical Students don't talk about it enough. I don't mean the catastrophic, university-career-ending, multiple sunject failures. I mean the once-offs, the 'I didn't get this rotation/subject/idea' kind of fail that is much, much, much more common than the Medical Student Community will admit to. In the words of my little sister, "It's good to know that becoming a doctor is hard."

7. My most visited post ever;

Pseudoseizures: Not Funny. This post continues to recieve a large number of angry comments that I moderate, thanks to its prominence in Google Searches for 'pseudoseizures'. The message, without a breath of sarcasm, is in the title - pseudoseizures are not funny. The post aims to provide a rational and caring viewpoint about the condition.

These posts, I think, represent this blog as a whole. Evolving, honest, rational and questioning. Feel free to have a chop through the archives on the side...

1 comments:

    The past few years have just flown. I can't wait to see where the next years take you.