Welcome to another edition of Grand Rounds! This week, Grand Rounds 6:43 pays tribute to our friends, with a little help from Messrs Lennon and McCartney (with Ringo on vocals...)

What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

# ACP Hospitalist's Dr Manning tops the bill with a tale of hell on call, complete with a technically absent colleague. A scary and frustrating look at a night with THE pager.

Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends.

# TraumaRad had her life saved in the first week of MedSchool by a friend's small gesture and quick thinking.

# Medical Resident extends the hand of friendship (not just medical care) to a patient with Brugada Syndrome, in this insightful and well-written post.

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.

# Delia O'Hara over at Birth Story applauds the Pioneering women in Medicine at Johns Hopkins, in this informative look at few of the Medical Schools benefactors.

# OBCookie (great name), puts a loving, and practically educational, touch on her sumptous looking Chicken Roulades. Yum!

# Dr Val and Better Health submitted a recent guest post from Dr Alan Dappen about Canaries and the Primary Care Crisis. Just 'cos it's chirping doesn't mean you're there to hear it...

What do I do when my love is away.
(Does it worry you to be alone)
How do I feel by the end of the day
(Are you sad because you're on your own)

# Mental Notes looks at an interesting manuscript about Anxiety and Religious Zealots, highlighting that it's essential to solve the concrete issues first. Great post!

# How to Cope with Pain Blog suggests Why You Should Try A Pain Support Group, and not be all alone, because...

No, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna to try with a little help from my friends

# Recently named as the Nicest Person on the Internet, Dr Ramona Bates adds to her vocabulary after renewing her friendship with folderol.

# Happy Hospitalist floats the genius notion of Open Source H&P, to reduce duplicity in medicalcare; friends and colleagues (?lovers), we should all work together.

# Will Meek's discussion of the time-honoured Interpersonal Circles model could help to both win friends or hold foes at bay.

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.

# Highlight Health celebrates 50 years of birth control, in this well referenced post, complete with fantastic infographic.

# Inside Surgery remembers Kit Carson, frontiersman and self-trained surgeon. He even helped with an amputation aged sixteen - talk about a fast-track residency!

Would you believe in a love at first sight?
Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time.
What do you see when you turn out the light?
I can't tell you, but I know it's mine.

# Bongi's writing often gives me pins and needles, and is true to form in his ever-eloquent post, Silence.

# In my submission for this edition, darkness adds a bit more risk to a situation, as I was reminded in Getting Back.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm I get high with a little help from my friends,
Oh, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends

# The Good Samaritan Laws are about being good (and legally protected) friends, as Dr Ed Pullen writes, citing two memorable experiences.

# The UK health system is looking to cut bureaucracy, InsureBlog reports, and notes that it's by no means a bad thing.

# Health Blawg celebrates and explores the new definition Meaningful Use as applied to EHRs.

Do you need anybody?
I just need someone to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love

# Health AGEnda honours visionary geriatrician Dr Bob Butler, pulitzer-prizer winner and first director of the National Institute on Aging.

# GlassHospital draws a touching obituary for Harvey Pekar, comic writer, clerk and Cleveland hero.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Ooh, I get high with a little help from my friends
Yes I get by with a little help from my friends,
with a little help from my friends...

# Is Medical School a Hostile Environment? Not Withstanding Blog poses the question of educational institutions and anti-harrassment laws.

# Dr Rich, at Covert Rationing Blog, observes with great interest the debate between those who want to change the guidelines, and those who believe that changing the guidelines would be the greatest of travesties, in this excellent post about rosuvastatin.

# Louise at Colorado Health Insider, puts forward an Economist's view of midwifery.

Thanks again to Billy Shears and especially Dr Nick Genes and Dr Val for running the Grand Rounds travelling carnival; Next week, Grand Rounds is hosted at Inside Surgery, see y'all there!

7 comments:

    Great edition! I always enjoy having "a little help from my friends." :)

    well done. superb.

    On July 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM Anonymous said...

    fantastic rounds -

    like the formatting too!

    That was excellent.



    For a med student. Now get down and give me 20.

    Great - now I have that stupid earworm!!!

    :-)

    Seriously, great edition. Thanks for hosting, and for including our post.

    Excellent! Thank you!

    Our Best,
    Maria

    Maria Gifford
    Content Manager
    Better Health

    Heavy sigh. It would be nice if I had a little help from my "friends".

    For the consideration of anyone who might care, I submit the Housecalls post (based on a distrubing AP report) that was omitted (for whatever reason) from this week's round-up:

    http://drjshousecalls.blogspot.com/2010/07/sayeth-ap-many-docs-dont-blow-whistle.html