Harriet the Spy

As a kid, one of my favourite books was Louise Fitzhugh's 'Harriet the Spy'. I remember Mum giving me a copy from the library she was working at. The book was to be thrown out, because apparently, it was too old.

After I read 'Harriet the Spy' the first time, I started keeping a notebook. That was a pretty nerdy thing for an eight-year old to do. I've still got those notebooks somewhere, and I remember the first entry;
"Shane Warne is a dickhead. So is Merv Hughes."
This was, of course, long before one of the greatest bowlers of all time took 700+ test wickets and so on. I just remember him coming across as, well, a dickhead, to my eight-year-old way of thinking. I wrote in those wee notebooks for a year or so, I think.

Anyway, Harriet the Spy was published in 1964, long before the interwebs, email, blogging, RSS feeds, FaceBook or Twitter was even dreamt up. But really, the essence of Harriet's notebook is what all this is about. We see, we write.

Harriet's notebook was a safety, a confidant; she could put down whatever she saw, felt or thought. Notebooks don't criticize or talk back, either. For some, blogging provides that outlet. Harriet filled many notebooks and, in the story, reads from her archive on a few occasions.

As you may be familiar, one day Harriet's notebook falls into the wrong hands, and she is betrayed and embarrassed; a fine warning that it doesn't pay to publish your deepest, most secret thoughts without hefty of protection or insurance. Or perhaps, to think about what you're writing, and why you write it!

If I remember correctly, Harriet recovers from all this with her passion undamaged, and becomes the editor of the school newspaper; a happy amalgamation of 'official' news media, gossip and opinion.

So why does Harriet write? Because she loves it. Because she thinks about things. Her mental notes become written notes. Because she loves writing. Don't we all?

0 comments: