The Cut, Pass and Chat

Surgery, thus far, has been intense and involved. I've seen patients in clinics and in the Operating Theaters, and I've been able to Scrub In on a dozen or so occasions, particularly with the Ortho Emergency List.

I didn't expect to enjoy surgery quite this much. After my experiences in Vietnam in MBBS1, in conversations with friends and family, I'd often compare surgery to football;
You play for 90 minutes for ten seconds of action, and maybe a total of four minutes highlights. The rest of the time, you're defending against a career-ending mistake.
I was reminded that football is, in fact, the world's most popular game, and not because people love to watch highlights reels. It's because every pass, dribble or tackle is about positioning before the attack. Maneuvers don't start one pass before the goal, they start everywhere. From the goalie to the midfield to the striker. About planning ahead, with some spontaneity, a deep knowledge of the opponent and strong fundamental principles. So, yeah, I like surgery.

Another part of surgery that I was, well, skeptical about is the level of patient contact. The biopsychosocial aspects that is so important in 'wholistic' care.

Last week I'd scrubbed in for a case - my last case for the day - and afterward I walked out of the theaters to pack up and drive home. I nodded to the patient's mother waiting in the corridor and ducked upstairs.

As I opened my locker to deposit my Crocs and grab my bag, I thought 'What are you doing?' I went downstairs and talked to the waiting Mum. I told her that I'd seen the surgery. That the surgeon had said it had gone well. We talked about how the patient would rehabilitate and some of the challenges. I said I'd see them both tomorrow, and headed off for the night.

It was enjoyable talking to the patient's mother. She was relieved to have some information and just to talk, I think. She was just worried about her kid.

I gave myself a kick in the butt about not talking to her sooner; that's not the kind of doctor I want to be. I saw both Mum and patient the next day, in good spirits and ready for discharge.

0 comments: