Dear Dr Granite

An open letter to my preceptor in SQuIRT;

Dear Dr Granite,

Thanks for having me; I really enjoyed being the 460th member of SQuIRT for six weeks. I hugely enjoyed the chance to talk with a colleague and mentor more than daily. Your hospitality was amazing, your generosity phenomenal. I definately owe you a beer on The Coast.

The rural way of life is certainly challenging; I'm frankly in awe of the constant 24-hour 'on calls', in addition to the stanard fifteen hour days you work. I know it's not easy. The loss of sleep, the endless responsibility, it's a hard way of life, and certainly not all roses. I know it's not easy to escape, that the bureaucracy don't make holidays easy for you.

Clinically, I see that the Bush is all about fundamentals, and using your noggin to make clear, rational decisions. That 'just' sending someone for a scan also involves several hours of driving. That emphatic health promotion and patient education will always be your strongest armory against the health problems endemic to the Bush (and the rest of Australia). I learned the skill of watchful waiting, the knowledge of when to refer, and how to do so both clinically and cordially.

It was interesting to see that the vagaries of small business are in effect the world over. I certainly have a new-found respect for their universal nature, and that every situation has its finer points. Still, the key challenges such as staff management present in many forms. I guess the part of it all that doesn't change is that no one cares as much as the boss. And in gigs such as small general practice or pharmacy on dentistry, that it's always the boss who has the most to lose.

My time in SQuIRT has also given me a new found frustration with health politics and 'the system'. I know it's what we've got at the moment, but too often the emphasis is on bureaucracy and apathy frequently trumps proper patient care. It's not like you can walk down the corridor and have a face-to-face with the physician. And likewise, it's mesmerising how quickly and unthinkingly elderly patients are turfed the two-hundred kilometres back to SQuIRT from Tertiary Hospital, providing they're (barely) medically stable.

It's not surprising that the term 'practising in isolation' is so prevalent in the language of Rural Medicine. I understand what you said on day one; "If you're not going to come back Rural, at least be a friendly ear at 2am when someone's trying to send you a patient from god knows where."

Thankyou for showing me the life of a Rural Doctor. And what makes a good one; Someone who will 'go into bat' for their patients. A doctor who takes the time and effort to advocate for his patients. We talked about how 'No one should care more about your health than you', but, gee, it makes it easier when your doc is opening all the doors for you.

My time in the bush was a mixture of many things; vital clinical lessons, long hours, genuine relaxation, challenges to my confidence, patients both delightful and truly infuriating, circumstances inviting pessimism gently tempered by genuine optimism and faith that, in the end, everything will be alright.

But, Dr Granite, most of all, I had the chance to work closely with a fine doctor, a genuinely caring person and a top bloke.

Thankyou.

0 comments: