Cross

I've made it back to The Coast after a long and relatively painful week in Australia's Beef Capital.

The company was most enjoyable, however some of the 'learning' which was undertaken was, quite frankly, a joke. Think Asthma Management videos from 2000 and CPR/Coronary Care from 2002; the best quote 'Those in the know call these events N-STEMIs.' Not helpful.

So anyway, I quite like long drives. It's a chance to listen to great music and have a good think. When it comes to 'Road Trips', they're an opportunity to share the driving, have absurd conversations and even take photos.

Driving, like anything else that requires concentration for hours at a go, is exhausting stuff. It always surprises me how wrecked I am the day after four hours behind the wheel.

Last year, I had a job 120 km away. I would arrive out there before 8am and return after 10pm; by the time I got how I would be exhausted, and would inevitably sleep in the next day. Most nights, I'd have a break. Run around the car. Drink too much water, turn the air/con to 15C.

I notice the crosses. There are many, but two always stick out. I used to speed past them, but one day, a Christmas day actually, traffic was thick and I ambled past. I read the name; Robbie. A few minutes up the road the next; Deano.

I could talk about how dangerous driving is, about how we shouldn't speed. And how driving tired costs lives. I could use lines like "Only a fool breaks the to-second rule", or "Keep Motorcycles in sight." I've been lucky on the roads, thus far. Others, not so much. Some crash. Some get back pain. Others, broken legs.

Some become crosses.

0 comments: