About the time the last [Anaemic] post went up, I looked like this. I'd been in a crash at the local cycling club's criterium circuit and been knocked for six.

Keen cricketers and cyclists alike will appreciate that if a red, round ball goes for six, it's good. If, however, it's a red, hairy head getting smashed out of the park, well, that's usually a bad thing.

I took it - literally - on the chin. After unexpectedly slowing from 40kmh to zero in a matter of two meters, I sat dazed and confused on a cold black and white part of the road as cyclists variably whizzed past or stopped and asked are you all okay? I was in outer space. One bloke fractured his collar bone, I'm told.

The next person to ask 'are you okay?' didn't really expect an answer. He wore a green jumpsuit, and had a nice white van with sirens and flashing lights.

I don't remember much of the next part at all, aside from being schlepped up to the Coast Hospital in a C-spine collar and with a 16g cannula providing my sore head and neck (and, as I found out shoulder and leg) with morpheus sensations.

The DEM team poked and prodded me appropriately, fired good amounts of x-rays at my shoulder, ankle and brain and concluded that I was "within normal limits".

With the headaches presently being replaced by memory, thankfully, my noggin hasn't responded too badly to the abrupt 'Hard reset' it received. Touch wood.

This morning I'm sitting my Paediatrics exam, and from Tuesday I'll be reporting from my Elective placement in Sunny Europe. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

    I dont know which is scarier? The potential brain damage, or that Ginger Beard...

    I'm glad nothing serious came of your crash!

    Enjoy Europe.

    Amazing imagery: "unexpectedly slowing from 40kmh to zero in a matter of two meters"...made me shudder!

    Andrew, ginger colouring is a sign of great intelligence ;)

    Enjoy Europe - it's an interesting little continent to live on.

    Hope you're holding up well. Good luck with the exams.

    My hubby did the same on a training ride but he is 55. 12 days in neurology and a long time getting over the headache, interminable memory problem and the broken collarbone etc etc... Thank God for helmets and I have put my foot down about so many road rides. I can think of many safer exercise worthy sports. Thanks to the neurology staff at the PA by the way!