Run Robot, Run

Feeling supercharged and slovenly all at once, I'd decided the night before to go for a run. It was a clear night at 5:30am when I rolled out of bed into the crisp air. The stars disappeared as I ran down to the promenade, before turning inland and uphill and as the red hue of dawn began to inflame the horizon I reached the summit.

It was well before sunrise. I ran home for my camera, and took a shortcut back to the lookout. It was still and quiet and beautiful.


Morning Run, Coolum, Qld

I arrive at the hospital ready for a big day in theatre. I 'get blue' and head to OR7 where a trauma case was unfolding. The on-call surgeon was surrounded by 3 consultants and 4 registrars and a couple of anaesthetists. It is paused chaos. The surgery started four hours ago. One entire wall is lined with blood soaked sponges, gauze and fabric, all tied off as casually as for rubbish day. The Surfer, a surgeon from the Big Smoke, is scrubbing to take over. As she enters the theatre situation a warm, business-like calm envelops the room, as they collectively focus on the task at hand.

Next door, the remaining consultant surgeon has begun an elective procedure. I watch the gallbladder on the monitor and the patient's abdominal ports bulge and wiggle. As the the scrub nurse starts the count and the 4-0 vicryl makes an appearance, the surgeon's asking "Is the next patient in the anesthetic room?" After the next procedure, all elective surgery has been canceled; the hospital is overfull.

I get changed and find the library; it's study time. I read about the cases I've seen. I'm still feeling fresh from my run, but the books just haven't piqued my interest. I can't be a study robot today. I nip outside the hospital for a Chicken chorizo wrap, discussing politics, sport, new media and nonsense with Lt.TriN. The crisp morning is stretching itself into a hazy day. I feel like I've read the entire internet. The books aren't looking any more exciting. I snooze in the library and wrack off home, with Moby's Wait For Me album languishing on the speakers.


Bond Graffitti, Brisbane

Next, I'm sitting at my desk after watching the evening news, thinking about a patient I saw two days earlier. Their symptoms confuse me. It's 8:30pm, and I'm sparked into action. The books come out, notes and Medline searches and pens. I order and refine and learn. The books spring to life and I systematically devour multiple chapters. I feel like a learning machine.


Robot in Red

I'm usually a morning person. This night, I am a Learning Robot. All day I've been in mental hibernation, and something's pressed my on button. I work well past midnight.

I get up at 5:30am and go for a run, feeling supercharged in body and mind. Today, I will be a Study Robot.

0 comments: