Seeking: Mentor

My Anatomy colouring book arrived in the mail. I bought it for myself to celebrate turning 25 and not having had a colouring book for around 20 years. I predict that I'll be slightly better at staying inside the lines this time. Or maybe not; those pictures are small.

Anyway, where I'm heading with this is that I was first introduced to the idea of an Anatomy Colouring Book when I was fifteen and studying 'Human Biology' at high-school. Specifically, I remember being told by teacher about it being used to train medical students. At the time I thought, hey, that's really cool. I want to do that. But the part of the memory that is the strongest is the teacher himself.

Mr T was both a science teacher and our yeargroup's dean. He loved the outdoors and could tell a story. He, like most of my science teachers, was into performing odd experiments that would get us out of the classroom. They might involve walking up and down steps so we could calculate how much actual 'work' we'd done in an hour, or holding a member of the class upside-down whilst he drank water through a straw to illustrate the difference between pressure and gravity.

I was a tad saddened today to discover that the first pharmacy I worked at is closing (it was sold nearly a year ago to new owners). There, my mentors opened my eyes to some of my own strengths and weaknesses and gave me solid advice and suggestions on how to develop as a professional, both at work and in having a more 'professional' attitude to life in general. They also pointed my passions for pharmacy in the right directions, including how to provide the best level of patient care without sending the business broke.

So far in medicine, however, I haven't really had a strong mentor. The construct of the 'self-directed' curriculum, huge class size and disgracefully low hours of contact has meant that my interactions with clinicians have actually been quite limited. Moreover, at least two of my clinical coaches have been less than satisfactory. My most recent clinical coach received an evaluation from one student that read "Rude. Inappropriate." Which I thought was pretty gentle. A conversation I had with a colleague about him went like this...

Capt Atopic: "How'd you rate Dr. X on the evaluation form?"
TVOR: "I gave him solid ones."
Capt Atopic: "Out of five?"
TVOR: "As percentages."

One of my coaches from last year was so offensive that he'll be getting an entire post of his own. The long and short of it is, of the doctors I've come into contact with since the beginning of the degree, there have been three whose practice ideas, knowledge, behaviour and interest in teaching, as a combined package has been inspiring. I guess that makes me sound like a bit of a brat, but seriously, coaching runs for ninety minutes a week. My coaching groups have been cluey; we don't stand around like idiots and we know what we're there for. We're excited to learn; we want teaching!

A few days ago I was talking with my grandfather about mentors. He mentioned several from different stage of his life; noting that in some cases a mentor doesn't have to know they're even in the role. Their behaviour and ideals just seem to rub off on you. We also discussed, at length, the role of teachers in the formative years. My grandfather listed a number of qualities that good teachers help to instill in us. The list included the following;

respect and concern for others

compassion

loyalty

anger at injustice

love of life


By the time you hit medical school, many of these characteristics should be well installed. Some other traits are essential to be a good clinician; these include decisiveness, ability to work in a team, to listen, to prioritise, to remain ethical and to rise to meet adversity. A mentor should challenge you, should draw out the best in you and pass on the 'little secrets' of medicine.

The 2008 AMSA Intern and Resident's guide advises budding young docs to "Hang your hat on a star." Find a consultant or registrar that inspires you, whose style you like and who makes you want to be better at what you do. Mentors are important characters to have around, especially in those formative clinical years. To put it bluntly, I'm in the market for one.

1 comments:

    Mentors are worth their weight in gold.
    I have that book and am ashamed to say, barely used it (I bought it, essentially new but 2nd hand). Still trying to sell it...let me know if you spill coffee on yours and want a spare...