Healthy Baby

So, it's now the end of my second week of O&G. Despite a holiday on Australia Day, I'm exhausted. One overriding impression I've gained so far, is that there's a great mix of ways to have baby.

I'm not talking about positions, methods or even situations; I'm talking about philosophies. For some, having a baby is about walking a certain path, with or without certain inputs or stimuli. Others simply want a healthy baby at the end, no matter the methods.

As with any philosophy, there are extremists; mothers-to-be with training in hypnobirthing and aromatics who refuse interventions or medical assistance even with triplets on board, or expectant mothers who at the twelve-week mark, plot out a date for an elective caesarian. In fact, I was getting a little frazzled by all the demands and requirements of O&G patients.

Then, as a patient was being admitted, I saw the most sensible thing I've seen all rotation. An answer to a question on the birthing plan;

"I want whatever is best for my baby, to make sure they're safe and healthy."

It was right there, in the mum's handwriting; a raw, honest, pragmatic look at birthing. I think for many people, exerting such enormous amounts of control over the journey is to compensate for the uncertainties about the destination, both for first-time mums and multips. A healthy baby is indeed a wonderful thing.

1 comments:

    Indeed. It really does just boil down to letting your offspring get as good a chance as they can in life. After all, that's what biological creatures do - live, breed, die. Right?

    On a side note, I really like your writing style! It's almost poetic and I'm sure that should you ever get bored of medicine, a career as a writer awaits you. :P