As promised, this week saw an attempt on the Razorback. Certainly not my best effort, however, and consequently not enough to break through the Corner of Doom.

I'd be lying if I said I felt fresh on Monday, thanks to a weekend of Cricket and work. Probably not the best state of body or mind to being trying the Razorback, but nonetheless, I had a crack.

I took the opportunity to refine some tactics and get my head in the right place. I nursed myself softly, softly to the shop at the Hunchy Rd turnoff. That's the point when the road climbs up and up at 12%, and the hurt really begins.

Meantime, I noticed two property names on the ascent. The first was an apt description of the scenario "Summer Hills", the second was an inspiration to look out for each time; "NEVERTIRE"

At the shop, I figured that taking it easy had slightly paid off; I felt better than expected, expecially considering I'd ridden a flat fifty earlier in the day. So, in a more positive state of mind,
I divided my goals into micro and macro and pushed the pedals from road-stake to road-stake, setting miniscule 30 metre goals to each corner. Not over-extending myself before the shop is a definite must for a successful attempt.

At the corner of doom, I again fizzled into an anaerobic mess. I'd clawed the last hundred metres to that point and the effort was more than enough to tip me into lactic-land. It felt like being slapped with a cold fish. One positive was the speed of recovery, which was substantially quicker than previous digs.

Last update, I was unsure if the deficit was psychological or physiological, and yesterday's attempt answered the question. Psychologically, I'm all over it. I can push myself until I pop. I can do tactics, and I'm pretty sure I ride smart. Physiologically, my endurance is improving, my hill climbing is much better than a few weeks ago. Today, I smashed my best time on the Palmwoods-Montville climb by two minutes. Unfortunately, when it comes to the sheer gradient of the Razorback I'm not quite strong enough, yet.

Part of me wants to run and hide from this bloody steep hill, to train on 'flatter' rides. I don't think that's going to work. So, I'll give it another crack. Again and again; I'll practice like I play, and hey, if that gets me up, then the challenge will be complete!


The Plan:
1. Keep trying!
2. Start easy, save energy.
3. Get stronger.
4. Be bloody minded.

Two weeks to go.

0 comments: