Training Ground II ; Meal Breaks

Some summers ago, I was lucky enough to work as a student at an interesting Pharmacy in Sydney. The pharmacy was particularly eye-opening for two reasons; the staff and the trains. It was before I graduated, and proved an important experience, with some vital lessons in staffing and a solid Training Ground. You can read the full series introduction here.
At the Training Ground, there were four full-time shop assistants, and I, as a student, slotted into the fifth spot. Four would work each day, with one opening at 6am and the rest trickling in before 8am. The four girls, between them, had established that the 'opener' would make the pharmacist breakfast each day.

This was a pretty sweet gig for the boss as the 'script trade was rarely overly intense, and the assistants, in addition to the usual order and stock managment, cleaned the shop from top to bottom each day, removing entire bags of breakdust.

On my first opening shift, I blearily arrived at the appointed 5:45 am and helped open the store. As rush hour began to subside, I asked Syd what he'd like for breakfast.

Syd laughs and says to me,

"Mate, you don't have to make me breakfast. And they don't either. Always remember that. Making meals or fetching food is something that's outside your assistant's job description, and you should never expect it."

Meantime Lillian, the older and more assertive of the team, has typically asserted herself, and whipped up the usual peppered tomatoes on rice-crackers.

Syd elbows me gently in the side and in a low whisper says,

"Remember, if they're even offering you food, that's a really good sign... Unless it's poisoned."

0 comments: